Exercise 3August 17, 2016 7:18 pm
Key Question: Why did Rosa Parks refer to Jim Crow as a “criminal”?
Examine the section called “Let Us Look at Jim Crow for the Criminal He Is”.
- Why was the bus system in Alabama and other Southern states segregated?
- How did Viola White, Geneva Johnson, Hilliard Brooks and Epsie Worthy try to defy the norms of segregation on the bus system?
- What do their acts of resistance tell us about segregation in the South – how immovable (or not) it was, the impact that it had and what kind of impact, etc?
- When Claudette Colvin resisted bus segregation, why do you think the judge dropped the charges of disturbing the peace and breaking segregation law but found her guilty of assault?
- Why did Rosa Parks refuse to move on the bus?
- “Before Rosa Parks, There Was Claudette Colvin”, NPR
- Negro Ministers of Montgomery and Their Congregations, “To the Montgomery Public”, statement that references previous arrests like White’s, Brook’s, Colvin’s
- Rosa Parks’s reflection on her bus stance
- 1956 Interview with Parks During the Montgomery Bus Boycott, Democracy Now
This post was written by admin