Key Question: How did segregation shape life in the North
Examine the section called “The Northern Promised Land that Wasn’t”.
- What kinds of problems did black activists like Rosa Parks highlight about the North?
- Was Northern segregation different from Southern segregation? If so, how?
- Why did the Detroit Uprising of 1967 take place?
- What were some of the events that happened during the uprising that also indicated that segregation and racism existed in the North?
- How did Rosa Parks and other black activists resist segregation and racism in Detroit and the North more broadly?
- Detroit Walk to Freedom photo
- Coverage of the march against police brutality in the wake of Scott’s murder
- Interview with Ed Vaughn
- “Acquit Detroit cop in killing of Negro youth in ’67 riots” article in Chicago Tribune, 11 June 1969
- Statement of George Crockett, 1969
This post was written by admin